For years I have made Buffalo Chicken Dip for family gatherings, cook outs with friends, or just for Eric and I to enjoy when we have movie nights in. This is pretty much exactly how I used to make it: Shredded chicken (maybe 3-4 breasts), 8 oz cream cheese, ONE WHOLE BAG! of cheddar cheese, half a bottle of ranch, and some franks. Like, what? How was I okay with eating that? On the plus side, I still ate it with celery sticks because I just love this dip with celery sticks! Sometimes, I can’t believe the things I used to make. I never measured except when baking. Now? if I don’t have my kitchen scale and set of measuring cups and spoons. I truly feel lost. It’s a labor of love. Some days I still wish I could just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and not care much about those little pesky calories. BUT, I promise you taking the time to measure and cut back on some ingredients is the key to lightening up some delicious classics that you and everyone in your family will love.
This past weekend we had a big ol’ family get together for Labor Day, my mom, sister and her brigade (1 sweet baby girl, 2 crazy boys, + the hubs), Eric, and sweet little Pepper. My mom made her slow roasted ribs and potato salad. (two of my FAVORITE things!) and I lightened up my old buffalo chicken dip, and made a delicious pot of Mexican Street Corn! I like to add lightened-up sides to some not so calorie friendly dishes when having a big family dinner so that I can feel a little bit better about my indulgences. The whole family had no idea that any of what I made was a healthier version of what used to be made. Which is basically one of my number one goals in life. The family scooped up lots of it and enjoyed all the bites.
Which made me happy.
I just love cooking for family and friends.
Here’s the super quick, fix it, and forget it way to make my Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip!
You’ll need cooked shredded chicken for this recipe, here’s my quick how to on Shredded Chicken
Grab your crock pot and dump shredded chicken, greek yogurt, cream cheese, cheddar, ranch seasoning mix, and buffalo sauce into it. Mix well. Turn your crock pot to low and heat for about an hour. Mix again. Toss some green onions in. You can also taste test here to see if you want some more spice… I almost always add more, but you sure don’t have to!
I personally love eating celery sticks with this dip, but it also goes nicely with tortilla chips or crackers. This makes such a good appetizer for a big party because it takes about three minutes to prepare and you don’t really need to do much when it’s done! Much more time to focus on guests.
The dip is best when kept warm, it stays creamier that way. Go ahead and leave it in the crockpot with the warm setting on and allow your guests to scoop from it, or just put small batches out at a time if you like having it in a bowl or dish with other treats and eats.
Leftovers? It tastes great the next day as a filling for a wrap with some lettuce and veggies! It’s actually what I am eating as I type this.
- 4 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 5 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups plain non fat greek yogurt
- 2 packets (16 tsp) Hidden Valley Ranch Dry Mix, unprepared
- 1/4 cup Franks Buffalo Wing hot sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
- In a crock pot add all of the ingredients above except for the chopped green onions. Mix together well. Let heat in crock pot for about 1 hour on low or until the cheeses are melted together. Mix in green onions and serve.
- Servings size: 1/4 cup (packed). 2 Smart Points. 3 Points Plus. 110 Calories. 3g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 4g carbs, 1g sugar, 16g protein.
- Daily Dose Tip: If serving at a family gathering or party this dip is best kept warm. Turn crock pot to warm and stir from time to time.