We had a ROUGH week this past week. I won’t bore you with all the details, but we were all sick, and none of us got very much sleep. I skipped posting a recipe last week, because honestly Who KNOWS what kind of recipe I would be writing- I might’ve told you to pour coffee in soup, and blend it with ice!
I also pretty much took the week off from the kitchen, because my energy was sapped, so it was a week of quick meals, most of which came out of the freezer. But on Saturday, I got right back in there!! *Happy Dance* Since I hadn’t really gone grocery shopping, there wasn’t much to chose from. I had shredded chicken that needed to be used up, so all i really knew was that chicken would be the basis of the meal. I asked Eric what he would like, and he basically said “Whatever you make will be good.” Thanks for the help, babe.
I decided comfort food was in order after the week we had… Chicken Pot Pie needed to be made!
This came together from a memory I had of how my aunt used to make her Chicken Pot Pie for family gatherings. I lightened it up quite a bit, and of course, I added cheese. You don’t have to add the cheese, because that would lighten it up even more and make it more traditional. But I would. I’m sure she also made a delicious homemade gravy. I thought about making up a homemade gravy, and perhaps I still will and add it in the future, but I wanted to make this quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
I hope you all enjoy!
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 2 12 oz jars Heinz Classic Fat Free Chicken Gravy
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetable- carrots, peas, corn, green beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar (I use Sargento, Sharp Cheddar)
- Fresh thyme, about 4-5 sprigs (2 tsp if using dried Thyme)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart Baking Mix
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Fresh Chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degress. Lightly spray 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, lightly spray with cooking spray and saute' onion until soft.
- Add frozen veggies and cook for a few minutes. Add chicken, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes just enough to heat it up.
- Add the chicken and vegetable mixture to the 9x13 dish, pour chicken gravy into the dish and mix thoroughly. Evenly sprinkle with the shredded cheddar on top.
- In a medium mixing bow,l add your Bisquick mix, chives, garlic salt. Stir and then add the milk. Mix until a soft dough forms. (If mixture does not seem moist enough add a one or two tablespoons of water)
- With a metal spoon drop biscuit dough on top of the cheddar. You will have enough to make three across and 4 down. (12)
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top. Enjoy!
- 9 Smart Points per serving (Calculated with Weight Watchers Recipe Builder)
- 350 calories, 7g fat, 35g carbohydrates, 5g sugar, 2g fiber, 32g protein (Calculated with My Fitness Pal)