I’m so grateful to whoever thought of the idea of Bubble Up casseroles. I’ve made some fantastic creations with just a simple can of biscuits as a start!
I don’t know about you, but I love meatball subs. The toasted kind that are oozing cheesy goodness with a fresh baked bun are the absolute BEST! However, they’re usually not so friendly when you are watching your weight.
One day I was having a food craving, which happens so often. I’m constantly trying to create healthier delicious foods, because when you’re on a weight loss journey, you can get bored really quick… I know I do. I’ve been on Weight Watchers for six months now, and I can honestly say I have never felt deprived. And because I’ve made changes to some of my all-time favorite, not-so-calorie-friendly foods that changed them into something completely healthy, I don’t even need that many “cheat meals” (except for Holidays and vacations, of course).
I’ve tweaked this recipe a few times. One reason being the first time I did it I used Aldi Fit & Active Turkey Meatballs, which were low in calories/points. However, I noticed that some people didn’t have access to an Aldi, or their town’s Aldi didn’t carry them. I definitely didn’t want to make this such a limited recipe, so I came up with a Mini Turkey Meatball Recipe to go along with it. One of my favorite things about this- Using my Homemade Turkey Meatball Recipe, the points/calories per slice of Meatball Sub Bubble Up came out EVEN LOWER! Gotta love that!
The turkey meatballs are absolutely delicious too, and have much more flavor than store-bought varieties.
I also use my Homemade Marinara Sauce which is super low calorie, no points, and again, tastier than the store-bought stuff. Be mindful of the points and calorie change if you don’t have the time to make up a batch of this. (But please do at some point, because it is amazing!)
Meatball Sub Bubble Up
- 7.5 oz can Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits cut into small pieces (they come in four packs at the store)
- 4 cups Homemade Daily Dose of Pepper Marinara (or 1 32 oz Jarred Marinara Sauce)
- 1 cup Part skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
Mini Turkey Meatballs
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 tbs dried minced/chopped onion (found in the dried spice section of a grocery store)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, Add all of the ingredients for your turkey meatballs, except for the olive oil. I'm sorry if you hate this part, but (with clean hands) get mashing! Make sure ingredients are combined well.
- After thoroughly mixing, roll your meat mixture into about 1/2 inch balls. You should get about 25 meatballs. A couple more or less is just fine.
In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add your turkey meatballs, but be sure you don't crowd the pan (You may need to cook in two batches depending on pan size)
- Turn them every so often so they are browned on all sides. Cook for about 8 minutes.
While the meatballs are cooking, cut up your biscuits and add them to the casserole dish. Pour sauce over the biscuits.
- When the meatballs are done cooking, add them one by one so they are evenly proportioned throughout the dish.
Top with shredded mozzarella and green onions.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Serving size: 1/6 of the casserole dish
5 Freestyle Smart Points (calculated using Weight Watchers Recipe Builder)
7 Smart Points (Calculated using WeightWatchers Recipe Builder)
284 calories 9g Fat, 24g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 5g Sugar, 28g Protein (calculated with My Fitness Pal)