A little foodie history lesson on your hump day. In 1963, in Villa Park, Illinois, a Marine veteran named Dick Portillo opened up a little hot dog stand called ‘The Dog House.’ Little did he know that it would become such a staple in Chicagoland culture. Today, it’s one of those places that’s pretty much ‘off limits’ when it comes to healthy eating, but I still go from time to time because it’s sooo good, and it was one of my dad’s absolute favorite places, so I have to go in his honor, right? I try to steer clear of the roast beef sandwiches drowning in gravy, and the delicious Chicago style hot dogs, as much as I can. They have a salad station where you can get so many different options, but as most of my Weight Watchers friends know, the dressings and cheese alone can kill us on the points system. (calories skyrocket too!)
I took inspiration from my favorite salad of theirs and made it my own. I’m happy to report that I sort of hit it out the park! two heaping cups are just 6 smart points, or 255 calories without dressing!
If you are thinking “why does this salad have pasta in it?” please just go with it. It makes it perfect, I promise.
I also made my own semi-homemade buttermilk ranch dressing to go along with it, and 1/4 cup is only 2 smart points! *gasp* AND IT TASTES LIKE THE REAL THING!
Semi- Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
3 tbs Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix
1 cup low fat Buttermilk
1/2 cup Hellmans Light Mayonnaise
In a small mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Refrigerate for at least a half hour before serving. Keeps for 7-10 days (But it probably won’t last that long LOL!)
I have a serious feeling that this will be a constant in my meal plan for the coming summer months. If your home is anything like mine, we use the grill A LOT. This is a perfect way to use some delicious grilled chicken!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
- 3 cups Chicken Breast (cooked and chopped)
- 8 slices Center Cut Bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 3 oz Ditalini Pasta (I used Barilla)
- 2/3 cup Corn (fresh, frozen, canned, or cooked)
- 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese (I used Sargento)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup Green Onion (chopped)
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce (chopped)
- 6 cups Romaine Lettuce (chopped)
- In a medium pot, boil your pasta, then drain and rinse with cool water. While your pasta is cooking, chop all of your ingredients. In a large mixing bowl add your lettuce, green onions, and shredded cheese. Mix in your chicken breast, corn, bacon, and pasta. Gently mix in tomatoes.
- Drizzle with 1/4 cup homemade buttermilk ranch dressing, or dressing of choice, on each serving. Enjoy!
- 6 Smart Points (without dressing) calculated by Weight Watchers Recipe Builder
- 8 Smart Points (with dressing) calculated with Weight Watchers Recipe Builder
- 255 calories (without dressing) calculated with My Fitness Pal
- 315 calories (with dressing) calculated with My Fitness Pal