About five years ago was my first time on Weight Watchers. I had lost about 35 lbs that time. I’ll admit I didn’t cook as much as I do now because I worked a lot. However, I did have a few staple meals that I loved to have on hand! This is one of them. Even when I wasn’t doing weight watchers this continued to be one of my favorite ways to eat spaghetti!
The bake is hands down, one of my favorite recipes. It’s creamy, cheesy, packed full of yummy nutrient rich veggies, and quick and easy to prepare! People will think you spent HOURS in the kitchen. But you didn’t, and it’ll be our little secret.
This can also be one of those casseroles that you have to “clean out the left over vegetables in the fridge quickly” type of deals. I’ve added different things over the years, but the zucchini, spinach, tomato, and onion combo is my favorite. I’m sure Eric would love if I were to put mushrooms in it, but not on my watch. I’d throw it out the window.
Also, I have some incredibly lovely friends who are vegetarians. This can also EASILY be turned into a vegetarian meal or a Meatless Monday meal. I add lean ground beef or turkey because I like meat and the extra protein kicks it gives me. Plus, I’m from the midwest, and we like our meat and potatoes.
I hope you enjoy!
- 8 oz Whole Wheat Spaghetti, Broken up into pieces
- 1 lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 cup Reduced Fat Mozzarella
- 1 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce*
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 medium Zucchinis (chopped)
- 2-3 cups fresh Spinach
- 1 14.5oz can Basil, Garlic & Oregano Diced Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground turkey with onions and garlic until the meat is browned. Drain any grease.
- While the meat is cooking, boil your noodles according to package instructions.
- In the pan with your ground beef, onions, and garlic. Add the diced tomatoes and zucchini. cook for 5-8 minutes until veggies are softened. Add spinach and cook for another couple minutes, until it's lightly wilted.
- Add your marinara and cottage cheese to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until slightly heated through.
- Finally, transfer your spaghetti noodles and your marinara mixture into the 9x13 casserole dish. Mix together until combined. Top with mozzarella, and bake for 30-4 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting into six servings.
- 7 Smart Points per serving (calculated with WeightWatchers Recipe Builder)
- 7 Points Plus per serving
- 342 Calories, 9.5g Fat, 36g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 5g Sugars (Calculated with My Fitness Pal)
- DAILY DOSE NOTE: If you decide to go the vegetarian route, it's only 5 Smart Points per serving!
- *I use my homemade marinara sauce which you can find in the recipe section under Sauces, If you choose to use a jar of sauce note that the points may change!