Good Evening friends!
I had high hopes while throwing this recipe together a couple of weeks ago.
I am not big on vegetables alone.
I pretty much only eat lettuce, carrots, and celery raw. BUT I love a good challenge!
So, I always challenge myself to add at least ONE nutrient packed vegetable into whatever it is that I am making.
It’s becoming a hobby. (Don’t judge my lack of interesting hobbies, please)
It literally turned into something magic while cooking in the oven. It is one of my new favorites to have prepared for the week. It’s family approved and oh so yummy!
Just look at that slice of cheesy heaven!
If you read through the recipe and scrunch your nose up at the cup of cottage cheese. Please trust me, I am not a cottage cheese person and this is pretty much perfection.
It adds a sharpness and creaminess to the bake that we all need in life.
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family has.
- 20 oz Hashbrowns
- 8 oz Lean Turkey Breakfast Sausage (I used Jennie-O)
- 1 cup Fat-Free cottage Cheese
- 3/4 cup Nonfat Shredded Cheddar (I used Kraft)
- 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Mild Cheddar (I used Sargento)
- 1 1/2 cup Liquid Eggs Substitute (I used EggBeaters)
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- Seasoned Salt
- Preheat Oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey sausage, and drain any excess grease.
- Return sausage to the skillet and add the onions. Cook until the onion pieces are translucent. then add the spinach, and cook until it's slightly wilted.
- Add the hash browns to skillet with sausage and veggie mixture, sprinkle seasoned salt and pepper to taste. cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, add the cottage cheese and then 3/4 cup of the shredded cheddar. Mix until combined.
- Add your liquid egg substitute and mix thoroughly.
- In your casserole dish, spread the mixture evenly. Top with the remaining 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar. Bake for 40 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then slice into 6 servings. ENJOY!
- 7 Smart Points (Calculated using WeightWatchers Recipe Builder)
- 295 Calories, 7g Fat, 3g Fiber, 3g Sugar, 32g Protein (Calculated using My Fitness Pal)